The International Society of Neutron Instrument Engineers (ISNIE) is a community of practice which brings together technical, scientific and administrative personnel involved in the design, operation or support of neutron scattering instruments and/or infrastructure.
It is a global community linked by a passion for what we do, and a belief that we all benefit from sharing our knowledge and in doing so learning together. The Society was created in 2017 as a platform for supporting collaborative activities within the community and for communicating our passion with the outside world.
The societies membership is upwards of 200 drawn from more than 21 science facilities and support organizations around the globe.
the society organizes a number of events within the community:
– The annual Engineering workshop DENIM (Design and Engineering of Neutron Instruments Meeting), held over 3 days covering the full range of aspects of instrument and infrastructure design, engineering, project management and operation.
– The annual Neutron instrument engineering summer school, ISNIE Engineering Summer School held over one or two days at host facilities and offering short crash courses on specific engineering or operational topics delivered by some of the community’s top experts.
– A standing ISNIE expert panel, composed of some of the community’s most knowledgeable members, available to requesting facilities to conduct engineering reviews.
And finally this community website, our platform for communication, our base for collaboration between members and continued knowledge sharing throughout the year.
Membership of the society is free and open to all personnel working at neutron scattering or research facilities anywhere in the world. Corporations supporting the community are very welcomed and encouraged to join ISNIE but with restricted access to some society resources.
The International Society of Neutron Instrument Engineers (ISNIE) was established in September of 2017. The idea for the ISNIE emerged because of the very successful conferences, held annually, called the Design and Engineering of Neutron Instrument Meeting (DENIM), first held in 2012. During DENIM each year, the community reaps the benefits of building relationships and sharing expertise amongst the relatively small group of professionals who represent about twenty neutron facilities worldwide. So rather than limit this interaction to once a year, the International DENIM committee (IDC) concluded that all the benefits of DENIM and more can be achieved year-round through an International Society and hence the ISNIE has been born
Membership in the ISNIE is available to any individual interested in the free and open discussion of neutron instrument engineering! All you must do is sign a pledge to accept the values of the society as expressed in our charter. You can join the ISNIE here.
Please note that employees and owners of for-profit organizations are only eligible for Corporate Membership. Corporate Members are ineligible to be members of the Board of Directors and are restricted from some society resources.
The ISNIE will enable you to exchange ideas and share knowledge and lessons learned with your peers! It will also give you access to the ISNIE website (currently under construction) which will include;
• Forums with dedicated topics- share your knowledge & learn from others!
• Jobs postings
• Neutron instruments with fast access to neutron instrument engineers
• Useful tips and other information for “new” neutron instrument engineers
• A list of upcoming relevant workshops and congresses
• Past DENIM presentations & future DENIM event information
• Information about the Companies that Support our Community